Postpaid, coverage, LTE, network speed, MOBILE DATA(!)… These criteria often are the deciding factor when we determine which mobile network provider to sign up for. However, for the non-tech savvy or for those who just wants everything explained as layman as possible, the terminologies used by the companies can often be confusing. We have tried to break down the cheapest postpaid plans offered and compare 5 mobile network providers in Malaysia, namely Celcom, Maxis, Digi, UMobile and the latest industry player, Webe into price per GB for cheapest plan available (because that is what matters the most right?!), advantages and the catch (the tiny terms and conditions which you almost always never read):
- Price per GB of mobile data: Approximately RM22.5/GB (everyday data only)
- Advantages: Malaysia’s widest and fastest mobile network with Celcom 4G LTE, only 10x faster than before (Taken from www.celcom.com.my). Allows rollover of unused Internet forward to the next month (quota applies). Customers can still enjoy Internet access at 64kpbs once exceeded internet allocation.
- What is the catch: 50% mobile data provided is only for Saturday and Sunday. Rollover of unused Internet forward to the next month is only for weekday data.
- Price per GB of mobile data: Approximately RM9.8/GB (everyday data only)
- Advantages: All existing MaxisONE plan customers will be automatically upgraded to the enhanced MaxisONE plan (double the amount of data as shown above) effective 18th November onwards.
- What is the catch: 50% mobile data provided is only for weekends. Weekend data not shareable across lines. On Saturday and Sunday, the weekend internet will be utilised first if you are latched onto Maxis 4G network. If you are not latched onto our 4G network on Saturday and Sunday, you will be utilising your regular data pool.
- Price per GB of mobile data: Approximately RM10/GB (all day data only)
- Advantages: Allows rollover of unused Internet forward to the next month (Quota applies)
- What is the catch: 50% mobile data provided is only for weekends. Internet rollover feature is not available with Internet Sharing with supplementary lines – Balance unutilized Internet quota will not be rolled over for the principal line.
- Price per GB of mobile data: Approximately RM9.33/GB
- Advantages: Cost – The mobile network providers that offers lowest commitment in Malaysia
- What is the catch: Free video streaming (Video-Onz) until 31 Dec 2017 only, limited number of kiosks around Klang Valley that offers full service (e.g. line termination)
- Price per GB of mobile data: Unlimited (with a catch – see point below)
- Advantages: 4G LTE with Unlimited Calls, SMS & Internet from RM79/month (RM84 if including GST)
- What is the catch: Customers who use the SIM for “Machine-to-Machines (M2M)” purpose or SMS blasting will be blocked. Customers who tether or turn on WiFi Hotspot on their phone will have to pay RM6/2 hours.
Information provided above is accurate as of 23rd November 2016 and may be subject to change by the mobile service providers.