12 Foods You Didn’t Realise Could Kill A Dog

It is important to know that not all food is fit for a dog’s consumption. And just because it’s safe for you doesn’t mean the same thing for your beloved dog. That said, we have listed 12 Foods You Didn’t Realise Could Kill A Dog.

1) Chocolate

Let’s start off with the most common one: chocolate. They are undoubtedly delicious and tempting. But for dogs, chocolate is deadly poison. It doesn’t matter whether they are milk, dark or white chocolates. All of them are harmful since chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine — two ingredients that can cause dehydration, muscle tremors, seizures and even death.

Image Credit: mentalfloss.com

2) Cheese And Milk

If you are thinking of letting your dog nibble on some cheese, you might want to reconsider. Too much cheese can cause various sickness like gas, diarrhoea and vomiting. The same also goes to milk. How does this happen, you ask? Similar to us humans, some dogs may suffer from lactose intolerance, so dairy products are generally unsafe for them. Not to mention dogs are unable to produce enzymes to digest the lactose (milk sugar) to break down.

Image Credit: npr.org

3) Onions

Onions may be a common kitchen staple for most cooking. But for dogs, it is a different story altogether. Whether they are raw or cooked, onions contain thiosulphate — a substance capable of damaging your dog’s red blood cells. This, in turn, would make them physically weaker and also cause shortness of breath, diarrhoea and vomiting.

Image Credit: snaped.fns.usda.gov

4) Garlic

Similar to onions, the seemingly harmless garlic is apparently bad news for dogs. Garlic also contains the same thiosulphate, which causes damage to red blood cells, lethargy, vomiting and dark-coloured urine.

food that could kill a dog
Image Credit: medicalnewstoday.com

5) Coffee

Coffee is strictly a no-no for dogs. It contains caffeine and Methylated Xanthine, a stimulant that can affect the dog’s nervous system. This, in turn, would lead to irregular heart rhythms, hypertension, vomiting, seizures and even death.

Image Credit: visitsavannah.com

6) Avocados

Allowing your dog to snack on avocados is undoubtedly a risky move. Avocados contain persin, a type of fungicidal toxin that if consumed in large amounts, would lead to diarrhoea, vomiting and breathing difficulties. And in some worst scenarios, it can cause death. Even the avocado pits, bark and leaves are just as poisonous to dogs and for your four-legged friend’s sake, it’s best to avoid them altogether.

Image Credit: cbsnews.com

7) Grapes

Who could have thought that these juicy grapes can be deadly for dogs? Well, it turns out that grapes and even raisins contain a high level of toxicity. Ingesting such fruit would cause diarrhoea, vomiting, dehydration and loss of appetite. Worst of all, it can lead to rapid kidney failure.

food that could kill a dog
Image Credit: m.economictimes.com

8) Raw Fish

Fish is supposed to be a protein-rich food beneficial for the dogs. But of course, it all depends on how the fish is cooked and prepared. Raw fish, on the other hand, is a different matter since it contains harmful bacteria such as listeria and salmonella. Allowing your dog to consume raw fish, especially on a regular basis can lead to seizures and even death. The same also goes with raw meat and eggs.

Image Credit: rover.com

9) Salt

Thinking of sharing those bag of potato chips with your dog while watching a TV show? You might want to think twice before doing so. Potato chips typically contain salt and excessive consumption would cause your dog to be dehydrated. And that is not all, as too much salt also leads to diarrhoea, depression, vomiting, seizures and death.

Image Credit: medicalnewstoday.com

10) Macadamia Nuts

Believe it or not, as little as six macadamia nuts regardless of raw or roasted can cause a dog to fall ill. Among symptoms to look out for include vomiting, high temperature, hypothermia, weakness and depression.

Image Credit: medicalnewstoday.com

11) Alcohol

Okay, this should be common sense but we’re going to add this one in anyway. Besides, humans can be unpredictable and some of them might actually figure it’s harmless (!) or fun (!!) to give a dog a few sips of alcohol. And here’s the thing: even a little amount of alcohol can be risky. Besides, a dog’s kidneys and livers are generally incapable of filtering or processing the alcohol content found in beer, wine or hard liquor. Symptoms include diarrhoea, vomiting, breathing difficulties and even death.

Image Credit: dietdoctor.com

12) Xylitol

Xylitol is a widely-used sugar substitute found in mints, chewing gums, candies and toothpaste. Some of the other products that may contain xylitol include baked goods, mouthwash and dietary supplements. All of these aforementioned products are harmful to dogs. Symptoms to look out for are lethargy, incoordination, seizures and worst-case scenario, liver failure.

Image Credit: wagwalking.com