Malaysians and Singaporeans often refer a Chinese person who is not able to converse in Chinese as a ‘banana’. That’s because a banana is yellow on the outside but white on the inside. Sadly, being a “banana” has many struggles which many might not understand. Here are some of the struggles only a ‘banana’ will understand.
1) People automatically speak to you in Chinese and you do not understand a single word.
2) When you’re watching a Chinese movie or drama, you have to read the subtitles.
3) When your friends are telling a joke in Chinese and you do not get it at all.
4) When someone messages you in Chinese but you’ve no idea what is it about.
5) When you’re at the restaurant and the menu is all in Chinese.
6) Google Translator would be your best friend. But you’re not sure if the translation delivers the correct meaning.
7) When you meet a pretty lady and she only converse in Chinese.
8) When you try to speak in Chinese and everyone laughs at your pronunciation.
9) Traveling to China would be a problem.
10) Everyone will be saying that you’re a show off for only speaking in English. And this will be followed by comments such as “You should know your roots!”
Share with us the other struggles only a ‘Banana‘ will understand.